Exercise. For so many it’s a love-hate relationship. We fall in and out of love with exercise and find it hard to stick to the healthy habit. I won’t even get started on staying active through the icy Melbourne winter...
These are our top tips for hanging in there through thick and thin (and frost and the snooze button):
- Buddy up. Seems simple, because it is! Set up your training sessions like a date or a meeting, so you’re accountable to one another.
- Set yourself a challenge. Having a goal can make all the difference. Try setting your goal number of sessions per week, a new distance/PB, your target dress size, etc. Work backwards from big goals by breaking them down into bite-sized pieces.
- Try something different. Variety in activity is key. How many times can you do the same thing without getting bored? Mix it up with an outdoor hike, try a different class at the gym, or hit your local athletics track for some sprints to keep things interesting.
- Increase the intensity. This means one thing: PUSH YOURSELF. Without a challenge, you’re never going to see the results you want.
- Inspire someone else. Help someone else in your life to get more active! Meet at a walking track or Yoga class instead of a café or restaurant, or inspire someone else to get started. Giving to others is a great way to feel positive about yourself and your progress.
- Healthy rewards. We all love gifts to ourselves (online shopping anyone?). Choose a milestone that you really want to reach and choose a healthy reward to celebrate your success when you get there. Have a massage, buy some new active wear, splash out on your favourite matcha, or book a weekend away at a health retreat.
- Don’t think… just go! Motivation is a myth. Rather than waiting until you feel like exercising, just get out there and see how fantastic you feel afterwards!